Here's the step-by-step recipe for organizing a Spanish dinner:
- Pick a restaurant (feel free to ask me, post a msg to the group, or click here if you don't have one):
Call restaurant and make sure they
can accommodate 10-15 people (Peninsula) or 15-25 people (SF) on the chosen date/time (preferably the 3rd Saturday
of the month). Make sure they have veggie options.
initial reservation (in the name of "World Affairs Council") for 12
(Peninsula) or 15 (SF) and ask by when they'll need the final count.
Create an Evite invitation for your dinner (this is simple and takes just a few minutes) --> For the best response, get this out at least a week in advance of the dinner... BETTER OPTIONS TO EVITE: http://www.pingg.com/ , http://www.purpletrail.com/, http://www.punchbowl.com/ (tho I don't know if either of these allow you to send to a yahoo group).
- Even months in
- Odd months on
If you've scheduled your event for a date other than the 3rd Saturday,
you may want to add this as a new event on the wacsd yahoogroups
calendar. (There are repeating events already on the calendar for
the 3rd Saturday, so you needn't do anything if your dinner is on the
3rd Saturday.) Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wacsd/calendar and click on the date of your dinner (make sure the year is correct). Then,
click on "Add Event" and add the details of your event. Finally, make sure "Don't
Repeat" is selected, and then click on "Save Changes".
After your RESPOND BY date/deadline: Return to your Evite via the above link; count up the "Reserve a place for me (Yes)" responses
in the Evite.
Call the restaurant by their deadline and
give them the final count.(Optional)
If you know of something going on, or would like to put something
together, for later that evening (a party, concert, a club nearby with
music or dancing, a cafe, etc.) where folks could continue to mingle, either in
English or Spanish, that's always a great idea. Just put the info
into your Evite and remind people at the dinner.
- Go to http://www.evite.com/loginRegForm?redirect=/pages/myevite/myEvite.jsp?rnum=435649936
- Login as yourself if you have an Evite account (if you don't, you can use email@example.com with password wacsd )
- NOTE: If you have any questions or
problems with the Evite anywhere along the way, click on "FAQ & Contact Us" or "Take Our
Tour" (in small font at the very bottom of the page).
- Click on "Past Invites"
- Click on the invite for the previous month (this should take you to that invite)
- Click on "Copy Evite" (in the "Options" section)
- Fill out the green section:
Put your name in
the "Hosted By" box,
Put "Spanish Din: <time>, <date>, <restaurant>, <location>" in the "Name Your Event"
box (replacing those items in <>'s with the specifics of your dinner--eg, "Spanish Din: 7:45pm, 11/20, Habana-Cuba, SJ")
Make sure that "Dinner Party" is selected in the "Your Theme"
- Be sure to click on "Save" at any point, if you need to take a break and will complete this later.
out the "Date and Time" and "Location" sections with the specific
details of your dinner. (Don't bother with the "Event End" or
"Schedule Recurring Events" portions of the "Date Options" section.)
- Make sure that the only thing that appears in the Guest List is "list:firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com> (This may require deleting a bunch of email addresses, etc. that Evite has added. Update: THIS SHOULD GET AROUND THE EVITE BUG MENTIONED BELOW, AND PRECLUDE SENDING THE EMAIL MANUALLY AS DESCRIBED BELOW. BETTER OPTIONS TO EVITE: http://www.pingg.com/, http://www.purpletrail.com/, http://www.punchbowl.com/ (tho I don't know if either of these allow you to send to a yahoo group).)
the "Message to Guests" section, changing the two
"RESPOND BY" lines (1st and last lines), and the "RESTAURANT
INFO/MAP/DIRECTIONS" sections. (Everything from the "PLEASE
READ:" line to the "!Gracias!" should be left as is.) Replace the
previous organizer's name at the bottom (if any) with yours. Feel
free to add a few words of your choosing in the beginning of the
message as an opening greeting (optional).
- Click on "Other Options" and make
sure the the "Reminders" section has "Yes", "Maybe", "Viewed, by not
yet responded" checked off and "2 Days" selected. Also put
"wacsd<date>" in the box in the "Create a Custom Link" area (replace "<date>" with the date of your dinner, including the year--eg, wacsd11-20-04).
Copy the entire Custom Link into your clipboard, or as much of it as
your browser will allow (highlight it, then use Cmd-C on mac, Ctrl-C on
pc); you'll use this when composing the email below.
- Click on "Preview" and Proofread your Evite (especially
the dates/times and restaurant address). If there's anything you
need to change, click on "Back" and make your changes. Repeat this step until your Evite is ready.
- If you haven't already, click on "Back" from the "Preview" screen, then click on "Save," and "Send."
note that the Evite send has a bug and doesn't send to the group.
This is ok, since the email invite that it would have sent is not
ideal: Some users have problems with the graphical email that Evite
generates, while others want all the dinner info in the Subject line of
the email.) To compose an email to send to the group, click here.
Then, modify the subject line of the email message that pops up to
details of your dinner. Next, change the link in the body of the
exactly match what appears in the "Create a Custom Link" section of
your Evite (especially the date--you can paste the link in if you saved
it in the step above). Finally, add any words of greeting you
like to, and send the email.
if you don't want to bother with the step above to compose
an email of your own, and you can get Evite's "Send" feature to post to
the wacsd group, that's fine, too. You can just click on
"Back" (from the Evite Preview screen), and then click on "Send" to
send out your invitation. This is your dinner and your
gracious time and energy, so please make your own choice here without
any feelings of guilt/obligation. If anyone really wants it done
differently, they can always make that happen themselves via various
means (such as by helping organize the dinners, etc). You deserve
nothing but praise and gratitude for the time, care and generosity
you've put into organizing this dinner, regardless how you decide to do
any particular dinner. ¡Gracias! (from all of us)
- Click on "Log Out".
- Ensure that your invitation is received
by the wacsd group. (There might be a bit of a delay, as one of the
yahoogroups moderators needs to approve your message for posting before
it actually posts to the group. :-)
- Test the link in the email to make sure that it does indeed go to your Evite when clicked on.
Accept my/our eternal gratitude and the
personal gratification (yes, pat yourself on the back!) of knowing that you've helped me/us out immensely and
served well your fellow Spanish-speaking amigos! :-)
More info: http://www.AwakenTheMagic.com/rich/wacsd/